The Primary Care Respiratory Society (PCRS) exists to support respiratory care practitioners in a primary or community care setting. We are a multidisciplinary UK-wide professional society, focused on developing a holistic, high value patient centred and integrated approach to caring for people with respiratory conditions. We bring together professionals from across boundaries, offering them a welcoming, supportive and non-hierarchical community.
Our aim is that, together, we can benefit every person with, or at risk of, lung disease
We want to represent respiratory leaders within the lung health community who think comprehensively about the whole person, involving them in decision making. We are dedicated to
- Ensuring lung disease is seen as having parity with cardio-vascular disease and diabetes
- Challenging complacency in cases where respiratory diagnosis and management is not taken seriously
- Making sure professionals are properly trained to do the job they do
- For the basics of respiratory disease care to be informed by evidence and value and to be done in the right way as standard
- Working to raise the bar in best practice respiratory care by bringing a passion for excellence and improvement to the work we do and inspiring others to do the same
- Being a Membership Society that prioritises respect, inclusivity, joy and camaraderie by bringing people together and providing the catalyst for change
PCRS is involved in all aspects of care in a community, primary or integrated care setting. The work we do includes
- Campaigning to influence policy and set standards in respiratory medicine, relevant to populations nationally and locally.
- Educating health professionals working in primary and community settings to deliver and influence out of hospital respiratory care through open access to succinct best practice, evidence based clinical guidance and resources.
- Encouraging and disseminating real life respiratory research relevant to population health needs that supports policy and education activities.
- Describing how to deliver value based healthcare that provides a better patient experience, is clinically effective and safe and supports service development and redesign.
PCRS offers a wealth of support and information for its Members. Our scientific journal, npj Primary Care Respiratory Medicine, annual PCRS Respiratory Conference and membership magazine, the Primary Care Respiratory Update underpin our research, campaigning and education work. We have a thriving Member network, the PCRS Community, which is free for all Members to join and provides a safe and supportive environment for Members to connect, discuss and develop best practice respiratory care.
PCRS is a registered charity and company limited by guarantee, governed by a our board of Trustees, supported by the PCRS Executive and its Sub-committee. Formal company (or 'voting') membership is open to any healthcare professional involved in the management of respiratory disease in primary care in the UK. Ordinary membership through our paid subscription scheme is open to anyone.
Join us as a Member and help make a difference to the future of respiratory care. Enjoy browsing the website and our social media for useful information and resources.