Key Knowledge, Skills and Training for clinicians providing Expert Respiratory Care
Clinicians working at this level should be competent in the criteria expected for advanced level plus:
- Have good understanding of the impact co-morbidities have on patients living with respiratory disease.
- Demonstrate the ability to work with patients living with both respiratory disease and mental health conditions and liaise closely with members of the MDT to ensure high standards of care and exceptional communication between disciplines.
Key skills, knowledge and training for providing expert respiratory care
ARTP accredited spirometry certificate –both undertaking and interpretation
|Be able to consider differential diagnoses and investigate as such||
MSc level or equivalent course in advanced assessment skills
|Able to take full history and possess clinical examination skills including percussion and auscultation||Be able to interpret results to lead to accurate diagnosis or appropriate trial of treatment||Relevant mentorship course to enable teaching and mentoring of colleagues|
Understand importance and relevance of motivational interviewing techniques, particularly with regard to treatment for tobacco dependence, adherence to treatment, etc.
|In-depth knowledge of evidence-based pharmacological and non-pharmacological interventions|
|Knowledge of appropriate referral pathways including urgent referral criteria|
Other desirable skills knowledge and training
- Degree level module/s respiratory assessment/asthma/COPD
- Independent/non-medical prescribing qualification
- Leadership course/skill set